[PDF] Common methods of cupping
1. Routine cupping therapy
Routine cupping is common practical cupping, divided into single cup and multi-cup two types.
(1) Single cup: if the size of disease site is rather small, doctors should choose proper cups for cupping according to the range of pathological changes. For example, zhongwanyi for gasteralgia, neiguan for arrhythmia, tianshu for abnormal stool, taiyang for headache, jianjing for stiff neck.(picture17)
(2) Multi-cup: multi-cup means using many cups in doing cupping. It can divide into two categories, lined cupping and scattered cupping, applicable to the sufferers who have wide range of pathological changes, chubby muscle in cupped site, and many sensitivity responses points. If sufferers suffer muscle strain, doctors line the cups according muscle meridian. That is called lined cupping and applicable to strong and distinct symptom sufferers. If sufferers are weak and have light symptoms, doctors scatter the cups to pathological sites. That is called scattered cupping..(picture18)
2. Twinkling cupping
Twinkling cupping means that doctors clamps the alcohol cotton ball with tweezers, take it to the bottom of cup after lighted and then pull out, put the cup to the site, remove the cup, and then repeat till erubescence appears. This repeated traction, relaxation, makes skin blood perfusion and reperfusion, thus improving the blood circulation and irritating nerves and blood vessels. This method applies to Exogenous cold, Flaccidity soft muscle, skin numbness, weakness of the mechanism may be after-effects such as disease and stroke. In cupping flash operation, doctors should be quick to twinkle into the cup. Fire in cup mouth must not stay too long, to avoid burning the skin. If repeated, doctors should continue for another cup when the cup is too hot.(picture19)
3. The stationary cupping
Stationary cupping is the commonly used method of cupping. Generally, it is used for all kind of disease. After the cup sucked on the skin, doctors should leave the cup for 10 or 15 minutes until there are erubescence, congestive or bruises on skin. If cups are sucked on the delicate skin during the summer or strong suction force with infrared lamps at the same time, the time of cupping can not be too long. In addition, the treatment can be combined with pushing and pulling, or wiggling the cup during the stationary suction to stimulate and enhance therapeutic effect.
Moving cupping method is also known as to push and pull the cup. In this method, glass cup should be used with thick and smooth mouth and no damage or plexiglass cup. At first you should daub some lubricant such as Vaseline, suet oil on the cup mouth or on the skin before cupping. After the cup sucked on skin, the operator holds the cup. According to the needs and conditions, the operator adopt the method of moving cupping and anatomical structures, to carry out the push and pull movement from top to bottom, from right to left, or around the circumference direction until the skin erubescence, congestive, and even bruises.
If need strengthen stimulation, you can raise and press the cup during the process of cupping treatment with push, pull, rotate, it also slightly push, pull or rotate, that is, use great forced to take the cup off. If the site are large and with huge muscles, such as abdomen and back, waist and hip, thigh etc. it is used for the meridian of qi and blood are blocked up repeat it many times, because of when you take the cup off always with sound, so it called as the sounder cupping. Applicable to the meridian of qi and blood are blocked up, visceral dysfunction and a variety of such illnesses. When you remove the cupping, the speed of push or pull, and the speed of rotation should not be so fast, which would easily lead to pain, the distance between each push-pull movement should not be too long, the movement of push and pull not stop until there are erubescence, dark red or sunstroke on skin.
5. Fire cupping
This is common method of cupping, which uses ignition to combust air as it rule out the cup, then it forms negative pressure, with which the cup can suck the body surface. Cupping exhaust uses ignition to exhaust some air for cupping, there are six common methods as follows:
(1) Cupping after putting fire in: This method more often applies to vertical lateral of body. It uses nipper to clamp alcohol cotton then ignite it and put it into the cup when you operate this method, then cover cup quickly on the site which is about to be sucked; You also can fold soft paper slightly or make paper into rolls (about three centimeters longer than cup’s depth), ignite it as it burns about three centimeters, then put it into the cup, quickly cover cups on the site of skin before the paper burns out. .(picture20)
(2) Cotton-burning cupping: This method applies to vertical lateral of body. Firstly, you can use of a absorbent cotton about 0.5 to 1 square centimeters when you operate it, you draw the four edge of cotton then soak some alcohol, stick to the up-middle of the cup after ignition cover the cup quickly on the site which is about to be sucked.(picture 21). Be cautious to the cotton which should not be too thick or too much alcohol. Otherwise the cotton would drop down easily or the alcohol would flow out to burn the patients.
(3) Alcohol fire cupping: this method applies to all parts of body. When you operate it you can drop some alcohol on the bottom of the cup and keep the cup mouth upward then put it vertically, rotate the cup l ~ 3 circle, so that alcohol evenly stick to the walls of cups (Do not put alcohol onto the cup mouth, to avoid burning the skin). After ignition y